Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director (ED) will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for TechWadi’s (a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization) staff, programs, expansion and execution of its mission. S/he will initially develop deep knowledge of the field, core programs, fundraising, operations, and business plans and assume responsibility for organizational targets set with the Board of Directors.
Vision – Help bridge the entrepreneurial communities in the MENA region and Silicon Valley by delivering unique and quality services through mentorship, custom programs and events.
Mission - Become the largest tech entrepreneurship organization in the world for Middle Eastern entrepreneurs, investors and ecosystem partners. Achieve financial target of $1M annual run-rate, drive happy membership growth, streamline operations, build a scalable and sustainable organization.
Leadership & Management:
- Overall – Ensure ongoing programmatic excellence, rigorous program evaluation, and consistent quality of finance and administration, fundraising, communications, and platform systems; manage timelines and resources needed to achieve the strategic goals.
- Community Engagement – Actively engage and energize 7000 members, volunteers, board members, event committees, advisors, partner organizations, and funders.
- Board Engagement – Develop, maintain, and support a strong Board of Directors: serve as ex-officio of subcommittees, seek and build effective board involvement. Work with board chair(s) on strategic direction of the organization and board member recruiting. Plan and prepare for board meetings.
- Team Engagement – Recruit, lead, coach, develop and retain a high-performing team.
- Support Systems – Ensure effective systems to track scaling progress, and regularly evaluate program components, so as to measure successes that can be effectively communicated to the board, funders, and other constituents.
- Succession Planning – Develop effective policies and procedures, orientation, training & documentation for succession planning across all roles of the organization.
- Expand local revenue generation and fundraising activities to support existing program operations and regional expansion.
- Secure grants, donations and sponsorships and lasting relationships with donors.
- Establish an endowment for the organization.
- Represent TechWadi in the public and with industry players.
- Manage relationship with the TechWadi Board of Directors and Advisors.
- Direct all aspects of corporate communications – from web presence and traditional media to external relations with the goal of creating a stronger brand.
- Use external presence and relationships to garner new opportunities.
Planning & Development:
- Design the expansion and complete the strategic business planning process for the program expansion into new markets and deepening the engagement within current markets.
- Scale up partnerships across markets, establishing relationships with the funders, business, policy and community leaders at each expansion site.
- Establish TechWadi chapters around major cities in the US, Europe and MENA.
The ED will be thoroughly committed to TechWadi’s mission. Demonstrate proven track record in leadership, coaching and relationship management experience. Concrete demonstrable experience and other qualifications include:
- Advanced degree, ideally an MBA or equivalent, with at least 10 years of senior management experience in the tech or non-profit sector
- Track record of effectively leading and scaling an outcomes-based organization and staff
- Proven track record of developing and executing strategies that have led to meaningful organizational growth
- Unwavering commitment to quality programs and data-driven program evaluation
- Excellence in organizational management with ability to coach staff, manage, and develop high-performance teams, set and achieve strategic objectives, and manage a budget
- Past success working with a Board of Directors and cultivating board relationships
- Strong marketing, public relations, and fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable and innovative approach to business planning
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people
- Passion, idealism, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed
TechWadi is a non-profit (501c3) organization building bridges between Silicon Valley and the MENA region. Established in 2006 to serve the community of top Arab American technology professionals in Silicon Valley, TechWadi has evolved into a powerful platform for collaboration – with members and events spanning across the world.
In Silicon Valley, TechWadi brings together technology movers and shakers through conferences, networking events, workshops, and mentorship programs. In the MENA region, TechWadi works with leading regional and international organizations to empower high impact entrepreneurs and help build a sustainable infrastructure to help entrepreneurship thrive and succeed.
TechWadi is expanding its membership tiers and delivering a wider range of services. TechWadi has a strong Board of Directors, a supportive Board of Advisors, a dedicated team of volunteers, a powerful network of Charter Members, and key partners that share our bold vision. Leveraging our deep roots in Silicon Valley, the world’s entrepreneurship capital, we are confident we can contribute to the Arab world’s ecosystem in an exceptional way.